Hi! Welcome to hweifern.blogspot.com, a place where I express myself!
Disclaimer
Welcome to my blog. Before anything else
please follow these rules : No ripping, spamming, and any type of childish acts. Respect is a must. Enjoy your stay and have fun!
Navigations

Blog Links Credits
I am ME
I'm just a simple girl trying to explore the world and jotting down my experiences in this blog

Ads from Nuffnang
Tagboard

Archives


Recent Posts
Courteous Customer
2 in one combo
Too tired to blog
Bye bye Wee and Chan Kit!
Missing in action again!
Feeling blue
Birthday Celebration - 26th November
What have I been up to recently?
Susana's house warming + pot luck
Spotted a Whale at Maroubra Beach!

Who was here?


Egg tarts and DNA??
Written at Wednesday, February 24, 2010 | back to top

I've done several things in the past few weeks of holidays in between working and slacking in front of the comp. One of them would be my favourite past time, baking! I've made Portuguese egg tarts one day by following some random online recipe - however, I did make some unintentional changes to the recipe because instead of using whipping cream, I used heavy cream. LOL. I don't think Australians have a thing called "whipping cream".


Ta-dah! Fresh from the oven

Yummy!

Yeah, it does look yummy I know. Thank u, thank u! Haha, syok sendiri. Anyway, it doesn't taste that yummy because the egg was a bit runny. I think I should have left it longer in the oven. But I was freaking out because the top was getting really brown but it was still bubbling. No idea what to do. Haha. Overall, I guess it's average given it's my frist time making egg tarts and all. The tarts we did in Susana's house were Hong Kong egg tarts and I didn't make it from scratch, so it's not considered. Haha. 
O-week in uni just started on Monday. And I've been going up and down the main walkway to get free stuff. Sometimes, I feel like such a cheapo or "aunty" because I can't resist getting free things. Well, it is FREE! Oh well, don't judge me but I really can't help it. Maybe it's innate in me to be a cheapskate. I must try to resist taking free things more to save my face. LOL.

Besides hoarding on free things and discount cards, I've joined several activities, well ONE activity organized by the university. And it's from the medical sciences faculty. It's actually designed as a welcoming activity for the newcomers in that faculty but being a very curious person, I just signed up. The result? I think I was the only commerce student there at first and then I found out there's another girl as well. LOL. The lecturer who was conducting the activity was suprised but she welcomed me with open arms. 

It's been ages since I've conducted any experiments in a real science lab. All the "experiments" that I've been conducting in uni consist of sitting in front of the computer and entering data or drawing graphs. Commerce, sheesh!. So I was pretty excited when I got to hold a real pippet, test tube and play with DNA. Yup, got got me right, DNA.

We're supposed to de-liquify DNA extracted from peas and put it in a tube. It was pretty fun and I was successful! Yeah, I didn't lose my scientific touch. I've never failed any science experiements in high school. And this is the end product:

 Wo hoo! Extracted DNA.

How come science students get to do fun things while we commerce people face boring books and paperwork all the time... But then again, we got less contact hours in Uni! Haha.. So, you win some and lose some too, I guess.


0 comments